New Ogham website

Everything that doesn't belong to somewhere else
jarik
Timezone (OGT): 1

New Ogham website

Post by jarik »

First was going to post this in Big Bob thread but I think it deserves own thread. So commenting about hall of fame and archievement data.

On weekend I started doing this, was actually fun to try my front end skills and actually got quite ugly version of hall of fame data listed. Of course that is still test data but doing backend for it is straightforward. Will most likely look into it again tonight but after that I have to put it on hold for possibly almost 3 weeks as I am switching company and have to return laptop on Thursday and depending on my snowboarding trip might start in new place on 1st of April.

After that should have base for getting all kind of data and show it online.

I am still little bit wondering should I provide something on website or just make everything have bbcode so it could be added to these forums. Statistics and such could easily go to website where you could browse history, but then all other content that someone actually has to write perhaps should stay on one place. What you guys think, and especially JRCO who provides most of the content, would there be any extra value if we would have website and forum would be embedded there in some nice way instead of having just forums? Of course having stuff on website would require that updating it would be easy.

My plan is to:
- rebrand our web presence to https://newogham.eu
- bbcodes for all info so can embed everything in discussions
- actual info I will provide in most likely order, but I am always open for suggestions
1) hall of fame listings
1.1) competition (division 1 on season X)
1.2) league (New Ogham)
1.3) possibly combination of competitions (season X)
2) standings
3) results for round
4) those archievements

Then things I am thinking about and think that would be fun, but not sure how to implement them.
A) player info - live statistics of player to web/forum, so would make sense to write player info when can see your starplayer statistics (and history?)
B) team info - same as previous
C) league wide statistics, so something like mentioned here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1009&start=20#p6275
Manger of our official Twitter commentator Big Bob, coach of 112th Brute Brigade and few other teams. PM me for access to newogham.slack.com, even it is not really in use at this moment.
Njord
Timezone (OGT): 0

Re: New Ogham website

Post by Njord »

I think this is a really cool idea! Good job Jarik!

This forum is really good as a way of booking and scheduling games but I think a website with content (as much as possible provided automatically by Big Bob) would add flavour to New Ogham and perhaps make recruitment easier.

I might be able to chip in with some content too if needed. At least begin to write some after game reports of my own games. :)

And my suggestion, in order not to take time away from Snowboarding, changing jobs and blood bowl is to start out small with the website and keep all scheduling stuff here in the forum.

Btw, is the link to the website supposed to be working? Not working properly for me at least.

Best regards,

Njord
--------------------------------
"Adopt, improvise, overcome"

In game nick: Njord
Also known as: "The manager formerly known as Snitz"
Super Bowl XXII Champion - Ghazak Khan Raiderz - Chaos Dwarf
jarik

Post by jarik »

Url is not working yet. Was planning on setting name alias, old one will work also, but forgot that I had game against JRCO and his goblins. That name thing is because I need some domain for other things so could as well have it as alias for forums too.

Probably it is good idea to have day to day stuff in forum as now, but add real time info with bbcodes. And then have all stats also on website, anyway I want to test one website platform so will do something 😆
Manger of our official Twitter commentator Big Bob, coach of 112th Brute Brigade and few other teams. PM me for access to newogham.slack.com, even it is not really in use at this moment.
JRCO

Post by JRCO »

Well, like I told you in chat, I support 100% your idea and it is certain an embbeded website would certainly help recruitment.

Just I believe we shouldn't split and have only 1 site that concentrate everything.

If we start with a specific site for Scheduling and another one for stats and fluff, it doesn't sound Ok for me. So at the vety leastr they must be interconnected to navigate from one to another just by a click (The scheduling could may be be integrated ?)
Superbowl VII Champions
jarik

Post by jarik »

When setting up my new work laptop I noticed that I had 2 github projects that somehow related to BB or Ogham. Other one was Big Bob twitter bot and other one had this kind of plan... :lol:
Screenshot 2019-03-25 at 14.06.56.png
Screenshot 2019-03-25 at 14.06.56.png (133.18 KiB) Viewed 6827 times
Njord
Timezone (OGT): 0

Post by Njord »

Haha, already half way there! :P
--------------------------------
"Adopt, improvise, overcome"

In game nick: Njord
Also known as: "The manager formerly known as Snitz"
Super Bowl XXII Champion - Ghazak Khan Raiderz - Chaos Dwarf
jarik

Post by jarik »

Njord wrote: 27 Mar 2019, 22:24 Haha, already half way there! :P
So it should be finished in 2025. Good so no hurry to start yet :D
Mythrell

Post by Mythrell »

Jarik, let me know if you need a hand moving the forums to your server; with the admin account you should be able to move it over in a single stage.

Due to some personal issues unfortunately I've had no time or means to always pay attention as much to the datagnomes server as I would like and thus it has been having some issues, so it might make sense to move it off from here.

If not, it would be nice to have subdomain address like forums.newogham.eu pointing here for now, it would feel more professional. ;)

Also if newogham moves, I can forward newogham.datagnomes.eu to your server so nobody should get lost in the process.
jarik

Post by jarik »

I don't want any servers 😁 and especially I don't want to look out for any forum software 😬 But if at any point you feel like you want to get it off from yours let's make some plans because we don't want to loose our history again

I think domain name is somehow configured into server as I tried having AWS CloudFront redirecting traffic and it failed. But let's try with simple DNS record. I can look into this some evening when do some fixes to achievements
Mythrell

Post by Mythrell »

Ok it might be a bit tricky to get the subdomain to work if it doesn't work right up, but since you've obiviously paid for a custom domain already.. would be nice to use it :)

The server will continue running for now no problems, and there is backups running on daily basis so we should not lose data. I just noticed that for example today the server was down for few hours and there's been some performance issues I think. If it's good enough for you guys then I'm fine running it for now :)

Return to “General Discussion”